Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Altec A700

  1. #21
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    Quote Originally Posted by LICORNE View Post
    Hi .Congratulations on your system.It's a doozy.

    Could you please tell me the diameter and depth of the port holes on the A700XLF.

    Thanks
    .........
    There are two ducts: 5" diameter x 4" long
    The A700XLF cabinet is basically a trap version of the 8254 used on the A10 VOTT.

    Gary
    Experience is Knowledge

  2. #22
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    Quote Originally Posted by whitebroncoii View Post
    There are two ducts: 5" diameter x 4" long
    The A700XLF cabinet is basically a trap version of the 8254 used on the A10 VOTT.

    Gary
    Hi,
    Thanks for the info. It is a trap version. Good to know though if someone wants subs
    for A-5 etc.

  3. #23
    Inactive Member taskvig's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2009
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    Quote Originally Posted by whitebroncoii View Post
    Here is a picture of my A700 rig . . .

    3

    A700 mains with N1285-8B networks @ 1200Hz
    A700XLF subwoofers
    custom enclosure with 408-8A for center channel
    Model 4 surrounds
    Model 1012 surrounds
    1268 power amplifier on center & surrounds
    1269 power amplifier on mains
    9444A power amp on subs (active EV subwoofer processor - 100Hz)

    I was part of the team that developed the A700 systems. Jerry Hubbard and his engineers designed the cabinet with a sloped front panel to align the acoustic centers of the HF & LF components (909/MR994A and 515-8G). No crossover network was included with the A700, however, we made the connector panel exactly the size of the standard Altec passive network. The A700 was the final version of the A7 series before production ceased in Oklahoma City. Another version used a 299 HF driver (A800).

    The two A700's pictured are the original units built for introduction in Florida at the NSCA show in 1990. I acquired the A700XLF's separately by trading other stuff.
    Wow, those looks great, much better than mine which are painted black on the outside and org grey on the inside Are the cabinets real wood or veneer? Are they that way orginal or have you done it? Any closeups?

    I was planning to use the 1632 XO with 9442 on the horns and 9444 on the woofers, but are a litle concerned if that's a good combination for home use. So I'm considering getting a N1285-8B and maybe use a "hifi amp" instead... is this a good or bad idea?

    Unfortunately it will take a while until I can start useing my A700 since I need to rearange quite a few things in my house first, but in the end I'm hopeing to have a result simmilar to this Urei system:

    4

  4. #24
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    Hi Gary

    The Altec surrounds model 4 and model 1012 are those the 45 degree angle for cinema's?

    If so could you please show a picture of those.

    Thanks again.

    Bert

  5. #25
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    Quote Originally Posted by taskvig View Post
    Wow, those looks great, much better than mine which are painted black on the outside and org grey on the inside Are the cabinets real wood or veneer? Are they that way orginal or have you done it? Any closeups?

    I was planning to use the 1632 XO with 9442 on the horns and 9444 on the woofers, but are a litle concerned if that's a good combination for home use. So I'm considering getting a N1285-8B and maybe use a "hifi amp" instead... is this a good or bad idea?

    Unfortunately it will take a while until I can start useing my A700 since I need to rearange quite a few things in my house first, but in the end I'm hopeing to have a result simmilar to this Urei system:

    4
    The A700 are the original birch plywood and stained a light oak. I have never "finished" the A700XLF cabs. The 9442A will deliver 100W per channel into 8 ohms. This is plenty for an A700 with passive network with subwoofers to fill the bottom. A hi-fi amp that can deliver 100+W into 8 ohms will do OK. Many hi-fi amps do not list their power rating into 8 ohms, only into 4 ohms. Cut the 4 ohm rating in half and you have the 8 ohm rating. A 9444 on the subs will be OK, depending on your music tastes. I plan on putting my 1270B power amplifier on my subs. For me more is better!

    How do you plan on limiting the subs to 80 - 100 Hz?

    Speaking of subs, the 3154 is an excellent extended-low subwoofer (foam surround) and will shake the house for movies. However, I found them to not be tight enough for my music needs. I have one A700XLF loaded with the original 3154's and the other loaded with 4156 woofers. The 4156 is a copy of the 3156. This combination is perfect for my room. I now get lows that shake the floor and punch that will knock you over.
    Experience is Knowledge

  6. #26
    Inactive Member taskvig's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2009
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    I see, I wish my was not painted either, but nothing to do with that But I guess it doesn't care that much since I probably will build a bafflewall so I will not see very much of them. Are the grillcover org or something you have built? Pictures?

    I have 5 Altec amps, 9442 running l/r horns, 9444 on l/r woofers, 9444 on center, 9444 on surrounds and 9446 on the LFX. Since I've 2x1632, one is runing L/R, the other one is running the center and LFX.

    The LFX have previously been used on 100hz but I thought that was pretty high? I imagine 63hz maybe would be better since the A700 should be find to 55hz?

    Are you running a HF filter on the A700 or fullrange?

    BTW: I like what you are saying about the LF capabilites of the LFX, since it's tuned as high as 43hz I imagined it would not be very well suited for movies, but hopefully I'm wrong I've used the 8182 a while now, and it's goregous, I would love to have another one

  7. #27
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    Hi,

    I've found model 4 and model 1012 from this site. Good speakers.

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...home/page2.jpg

    I also found 1983 Mark IV Altec surrounds. They were moved from a large city single theater to a small
    village theater together with 3 Altec A-4 and amps.

    I'll get back to the later on another thread.

  8. #28
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    Quote Originally Posted by taskvig View Post
    I see, I wish my was not painted either, but nothing to do with that But I guess it doesn't care that much since I probably will build a bafflewall so I will not see very much of them. Are the grillcover org or something you have built? Pictures?

    I have 5 Altec amps, 9442 running l/r horns, 9444 on l/r woofers, 9444 on center, 9444 on surrounds and 9446 on the LFX. Since I've 2x1632, one is runing L/R, the other one is running the center and LFX.

    The LFX have previously been used on 100hz but I thought that was pretty high? I imagine 63hz maybe would be better since the A700 should be find to 55hz?

    Are you running a HF filter on the A700 or fullrange?

    BTW: I like what you are saying about the LF capabilites of the LFX, since it's tuned as high as 43hz I imagined it would not be very well suited for movies, but hopefully I'm wrong I've used the 8182 a while now, and it's goregous, I would love to have another one
    Item 1) The grilles on the A700 are original (wood frame, acoustic black cloth). I never got around to building grilles for the A700XLF.

    Item 3) IMHO the subwoofer crossover is entirely dependent on taste and application. I like lots of punch for music and the horn-loaded 515 does not do it for me below 200Hz. Remember, the 825, 828, 816, 817 cabinets are bass-horns to around 160Hz and then bass-reflex down to 50Hz.

    Item 3) I have been running the A700's full-range for years. This is not ideal, but, I can turn off the subwoofer amp for some material.

    Item 4) So far as the port tuning of the A700XLF, many people think that this is the low frequency limit in a ported cabinet. Frequency response graphs show this is not true. Many people think that by re-tuning to a lower frequency you can get lower stuff out of the system. Software for designing tuned cabinets show this is not true. The lower you tune a cabinet, the more it acts like a sealed box. Generally a sealed box offers a slow roll-off starting at a couple hundred Hz (unless the volume is very large). A properly ported box flattens the response down to the port frequency and steeply rolls-off below this frequency. Most woofers can produce 25Hz, the question is; is it loud enough to be useful? The A700XLF is 10dB down at 35Hz in a test chamber. You can expect 3 dB down or better at 35Hz in a small room (sitting on the floor and against a wall). Re-tuning the A700 to a lower port frequency will alter the response curve, reduce the output at mid-bass and only get another couple below 35Hz.
    Experience is Knowledge

  9. #29
    Inactive Member taskvig's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2009
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    Quote Originally Posted by whitebroncoii View Post
    Item 3) IMHO the subwoofer crossover is entirely dependent on taste and application. I like lots of punch for music and the horn-loaded 515 does not do it for me below 200Hz. Remember, the 825, 828, 816, 817 cabinets are bass-horns to around 160Hz and then bass-reflex down to 50Hz.
    For the first night, I've been useing my A700 quite a bit today Unfortunately I agree with you that the A700 doesn't do it below 200hz, so honestly I am kind of dissapointed with the bassperformance I really hope my listeningroom is one big part of the problem and not entirely the speakers... I've previsouly had several speakers with the same problem and that's why I'm going to rearange a few things in my house before I can setup the whole system.

    But anyway... even that I was kind of dissapointed in the beginning I was really impressed when I also hooked up my 3182 With the 3182 it now played real nice with music and I've just finished a movie and that was even better! I might think that it would be even better with at supertweeter, so I will consider getting a 902hf or something simmilar to use at the top, but even without it sound great!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.